Junkers Ju 52/3m
The Junkers Ju 52 is one of the most famous airplanes ever built. Its development was based on the single-engine Ju 52/1m (first flight September of 1930). The first flight of the further developed Ju 52/3m (3m stands for three engines) took place in March of 1932. Due to its reliability it soon developed into the standard airplane of commercial aviation, then still in its initial stage, and soon served with more than 30 airlines in 25 countries. Later on, it was utilized by the airforce mainly as a transport plane. After the end of the war production was continued in Spain and in France, where several hundred planes of this type were built as CAAC.1 "Toucan" or CASA 352, respectively. The total number built altogether was about 5,500.
As part of the aircraft-exhibition of the Technik Museum Sinsheim two Junkers Ju 52/3m are exhibited. The machine in the hall (pictured above) carries a military camouflage paint, such as, e.g. was used in Russia at the Battle of Stalingrad. The second aircraft above the airport restaurant on the grounds (picture below) has a livery similar to that used by Lufthansa's passenger aircraft. This machine can be viewed from the inside. Two other Junkers Ju 52/3m are on exhibit at the Technik Museum Speyer.